Wednesday, April 28, 2010

what in the hell does a vegan eat?

so, i've been a vegan for nearly 5 months and i am loving it. still. i am amazed that i haven't completely caved at the sight of giant piece of cheese or a deliciously tempting what-a-chicken sandwich! i just haven't been willing to give up how good i feel. now, i know if you think like i did, you assume that vegan food is all rabbit food with a side sawdust like grains. and it is soooooo much more. it's freaking delicious. you can make just about anything vegan, seriously, i have been baking like it's my job. this is one of my most favorite and satisfying meals. it seriously puts takeout food to shame.  

pick whatever vegetables you like. i use cabbage, snow peas, and sauteed kale.
i used udon noodles and a tablespoon of barley miso(sooo good for you) for flavor.
while noodles are cooking, brown up tofu in a little bit of safflower oil and good quality soy sauce(shoyu). once tofu, is browned, remove from pan. add another bit of oil and add cabbage and snow peas. cook until tender but still with some snap to them. add greens and tofu just to heat through. toss another tablespoon of soy sauce to coat and the tablespoon of miso. then just saute for another few seconds until miso is dissolved.  
mix in noodles and...
taaaa-daaaa, yuuum. it's so satisfying. it feels like it's really bad for you, but it's totally not. 
oh, and for dessert, coconut milk chocolate ice cream(my favorite) w/ chocolate chips & crushed walnuts.

so, tell me? does being a vegan seem like crazy talk? could you do it? what do you think would be the hardest foods to give up?

8 comments:

  1. The hardest food to give up would be my gram's meatballs, I suppose. Soo yummy.. As long as she lives, I will never be vegan. ;3

    Lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I have to say I'm pretty impressed right now. I have a couple friends who are vegans and I know it's tough, especially if you're doing it to be healthy and not just because you HAVE to. There are so many temptations.

    I'm lucky enough to live in a city with several vegan restaurants and vegan-friendly restaurants. So if I ever wanted to go vegan, I know I wouldn't starve.

    I think it's entirely possible to be one these days and still have a huge variety of meals, even without the restaurants nearby. Obviously you are doing extremely well. That's awesome. :)

    And omg I totally need to try that coconut chocolate ice cream dessert. *drool*

    I hope you're having a lovely week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to go all-out vegan but I get easily tempted when I see my boys enjoying their prime ribs. I'm so weak. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, congrats to you! I could never be vegan. I was a vegetarian for 12 years or so. I don't eat a lot of meat now, mostly tofu and beans, but I love yogurt and cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That food that you've made does look damn good, though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard such great things about being a vegan but I personally have no self control - i love cheese, steak, and chicken way too much :( I did try a a couple of years ago and was really good for a couple of months.
    Good for you, you should be really proud!!
    ps. your dinner looks really really good!!

    Kisses,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo that looks super yummy! I'm all for people going vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hummm, this is a very interesting topic! I love the way you put that dish together btw, it looks as good as I'm sure it tastes!
    But I don't think that I could ever be a vegan. I was a vegetarian for 7 years and I gave it all up to eat my dad's kebabs after years of resisting (he's an ex-chef so his food is super delicious). But now, I *hardly* eat any meat at all, maybe once or twice a month. I've always liked lentils and vegetables better anyways. But I also like eggs, so I'm not sure that I could do it!

    ReplyDelete

 

Site Design by Fabulous K