Tuesday, August 14, 2012

sad, but true...

during the closing ceremonies whilest oasis beady eye was playing a ghastly rendition of wonderwall sans noel gallagher i had an epiphany...
growing up in the land of southern baptist, bible beaters, and chickfila, my fort lauderdale/new york grown and catholic raised parents did their best to fit in with the super uptight footloose no dancing crazies in my smallish hometown in georgia. so i was raised southern baptist. not trying to get in to any religious, political debates, but it was awful, i wish it on no child...
back to my epiphany. i wasn't really allowed to listen to anything but j93.3 christian radio. thankfully my closet headbanging father let me listen to classic rock, introducing me to my favorite band of all times queen and also sure to tell me of the evils of hotel california and stairway to heaven... i managed to sneak in some pop stations, rocking out to ace of base and tlc. this was all until i got my 2000 honda civic. first. car. bitches. that's when, on my way to school, i discovered 99x and rock/grundge/punk music of the late 70's and onward. i had never heard of nirvana until long after kurt cobain's untimely death. that's right. i went 10 years without having ever hearing smells like teen spirit!!!! wtf!!! i felt so betrayed. i immediately fell in love with bush, the ramones, nirvana, oasis, fiona apple, garbage, red hot chili peppers, metallica, green day, hole, smashing pumpkins, no doubt, so many freaking more. SO MANY. and pearl jam, don't get me started. i never knew what the hell melissa joan hart was talking about when she disparately wanted to go to a pearl jam concert on clarissa explains it all, seriously, i had no frigging idea. how is that possible!? eddie vedder!?! how did i not know this!? it blows my mind. it blows the captain's mind.
truth is, i have the best parents ever and, luckily, they didn't disown me when my brother and i started our pretty hefty "secular" music collection. only sort of joking... and after years of battling with my own personal religion issues, i'm finally in a decent place... work in progress. so anywho, come on?? is this totally messing with your head!? can you think of a single band or song that would be as influential as some of the bands i've listed above!?!? i'm having a hard time thinking of any!! 90's rock was the shit!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site Design by Fabulous K