Friday, March 15, 2013

mmmmmm Chili


My mother used to make chili every year for Halloween. It was a big deal. And after I gave up red meat, I made it with turkey... once I went full veg I HAD to find a way to make chili veggie and delicious... I’ve succeeded. WINNING. 

Serves a freaking army* 

2 cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and strained 
2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and strained (or any other bean of your choosing)
2 cans fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies
1-2 cups veggie stock
3 tablespoons cumin (I use A LOT more)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup chili powder
cayenne pepper, salt, & pepper to taste
Optional: 2 cups kale, chopped

*Note: When I make this for meat-eaters I add 1 package of SmartGrounds “ground beef” and I swear they can't tell the difference.  
In your crockpot, add beans, tomatoes, spices, and stock. I am OBSESSED with cumin, so if you are a fan you can use a ton more. I like to cook it low and slow for 5 hours or so. I realize that there is no meat to “tenderize” but the longer it’s cooked the better it tastes. Technically it’s ready to eat once everything is warmed through. If using kale, add at during last few minutes of cooking so it stays bright! I like to serve this with my wonderful friend Chelsea’s delish cornbread (recipe coming soon!) and top with sweet white onions, chopped avocado, and some organic corn chips!!!  It is so freaking good. MmmHmmm. 

2 comments:

  1. Yum. Almost how I make it. I love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this last night. Delicious, SO easy, & meat eater man approved! I put tons of kale in there too. Thank you! I love all your recipes :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Site Design by Fabulous K