Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Mama's Red Sauce

So Sandy is the light of my life!! I absolutely LOVE my mom! She, along with my husband The Captain, was one of the most supportive people in my quest to live as a veggie. She makes separate salads, soups, and even her own red sauce when I'm in the ATL which she marks with a V... Everybody together, “V is for vegan!” Excellent. Here’s the goodness. Be prepared it’s super easy!!!

2 32 oz cans of tomato sauce (I like Muir Glenn’s flavor)*
4-5 cloves of garlic
1 cup fresh basil, chopped in a fine chiffonade
dried oregano
dried basil
sea salt, pepper

Start by using 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil or if you are a weirdo like me and trying to cut out oil, use 1-2 tablespoons of water. Add all of the garlic until fragrant. Be careful not to burn!!! Watch closely! Once it’s going, add a big ole handful of salt, a few turns of the pepper mill, and 2 teaspoons each of dried oregano and dried basil. Stir for quick second and then add the tomato sauce. Mix throughly. Add another generous handful of salt. Once it’s nice and bubbly, reduce the heat to low and cover for 1-4 hours. Make sure and check on it regularly, burnt sauce SUCKS!!! At the very end, add the fresh basil until wilted. Then serve with your favorite pasta!! I’m a big fan of rigatoni and red sauce. I’m starving now. Dammit. Someone make me some sauce!! 

*Note: You can go old school and buy whole San Marzano tomatoes and blend them until smooth and start with that as your base. I use quite a bit more sea salt when I make it this way. We don’t do a super sweet sauce in my family! Bring on the sodium!!

6 comments:

  1. my mom makes the best homemade sauce too.. i don't know how she does it!
    yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there! thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Glad you enjoyed the zombie scenario :) I'm also impressed that you and your husband have a backup plan! Count me in too. I was just thinking about digging a bomb shelter behind our house the other day. You and I, we'll be the only survivors. mwahaha

    Thanks for sharing this red-sauce recipe. Will definitely need to try it one of these days! Sodium is my best friend

    Christy
    www.sunnywithasideof.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh thanks for sharing this recipe, this looks like something I'd like to try! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I want to try to make it! xo, Julie
    www.fromproseccotoplaid.com

    ReplyDelete

 

Site Design by Fabulous K