Friday, May 03, 2013

Lemony Pesto Pasta with String Beans

I love pesto, LOVE pesto, but I’m not a huge fan of the oil and dairy in most pesto recipes. This pesto is seriously decadent and delicious, it tastes much naughtier than it actually is. It’s a perfect recipe for a Spring dinner. 

2 cups fresh basil
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (a vegetarian B12 supplement)
1-2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon of veggie stock
zest and juice of 1 lemon
brown rice pasta, any shape (I think penne works best)
1 pound of green beans, cut into inch pieces ( You could also use asparagus spears or get cray-cray and use both!!!)

For the pesto mix basil, pine nuts, nutritional yeast, garlic, veggie stock, and lemon juice/zest to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Cook pasta via box instructions making sure not to over cook, no one likes gummy pasta, NO ONE, I tell you... Add the green beans to the pasta when it has 4-5 minutes left to cook. Strain and toss with the pesto!!

4 comments:

  1. I would love this! I hate cheese, so I usually don't eat pesto since it has a lot of cheese in it. I'd love to make it without it and I love the addition of lemon, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so yummy!!! let me know if you try it!!!!

      Delete
  2. Yum. Just come to my house and make it for me please!

    ReplyDelete

 

Site Design by Fabulous K