Friday, June 21, 2013

Eating my way up the California Coast: Part 2, San Fran

So here's the second and final part of my vacation food diary! Yay, food!!!! After SLO, we drove up the Pacific Coast Hwy which is just amazing. This was our first trip to San Fran and we both absolutely loved it. We only spent 3 days in the bay area, so needless to say we are already trying to plan another trip! So much to see, so much to do!! I can't wait to go back. We had such a great time! NorCal is unbelievably beautiful! The hiking was absolutely brilliant and the site-seeing was stunning, but the food... Ohhhh the food. Vegan paradise. 
fresh limeade - uh, hello, everything tastes better out of a mason jar.
 Sol -
(hers) pinto beans over rice with an organic salad, avocado, and plantains (his) large prawns with fresh onions and garlic in a tomatoey sauce with an organic salad, avocado, and plantains. We shared an order of mofongo which consists of green plantains mashed with garlic and olive oil. 
This meal was perfection. We visited Puerto Rico our last year of college and we absolutely loved it. The food was redonk and this restaurant definitely reminded us of that. O-M-G. I seriously want this again, right now. I loved this place, they had a ton of vegan options which just blew my mind. The food was hearty and full of flavor. Don't get me started on their house-made hot sauce. Ah-mazeballs. I would drive to San Fran just to eat here. So serious. 
(his) their famous grilled cheese  (hers) vegan tomato soup
So after a pretty substantial hike along the Dipsea trail we were more than a little famished. Good thing we planned a stop at this random little cafe. They were featured on Food Network's "Best Thing I've Ever Eaten" for their famous grilled cheese. Obviously I didn't try it, but Bo said it was pretty tasty. They made me a hummus and veggie sandwich. It was delish, but I was so hungry I forgot to take a picture. The tomato soup was heavenly, it was one of those dishes were I kept saying, "there is no way this is vegan!!" It was THAT good!
Wild Poppy - Blood Orange Chili
Bo found this gem at the market near our hotel in Mill Valley. It might be the most awesome thing ever. It's sweet and refreshing then there's a kick of chili pepper on your tongue. Ah-Maze-Balls!!!!! I must find this in San Diego. It completes me. 
Source
Baked vegan spinach artichoke fondue, chili cluck pizza with sriracha sauce, truffle oil, and a balsamic glaze, spicy pepper onion burger with jalapeƱo jam, roasted peppers, and caramelized onions. 
Source, oh how I love thee!! This place was the bomb. Off of the beaten path in a design district of sorts, we found this little spot. The place was filled with SanFran hipsters, oh joy! The all vegan menu is massive and we, of course, over ordered. The fondu was brilliant. I was scraping the dish. My burger was very tasty, but I honestly barely took 4 bites. Bo's pizza was INSANE. Ohmygawd. It was so yummy. I didn't eat nearly enough of that... But I did get a free vegan Twinkie, I'd like to think because I'm so super cute... probably not. 

We ate at so many more places, but I find that when I drink grown-up beverages I forget to take pictures of my meal... but that just means I was having a great time. I am so blessed to have my dude back and I am so lucky that we were able to take such a wonderful vacation.

1 comment:

  1. Omg this looks like heaven...! I need some San Fran in my life apparently ;)

    Http://streetlily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 

Site Design by Fabulous K