Friday, July 05, 2013

Eggplant Cacciatore

I’m Italian, I may have mentioned it... so I’m a proud Italian. I love making vegan versions of the food I grew up with and for the most part, I’ve been pretty successful, but I never quite knew how to tackle chicken cacciatore. Then one day it hit me, eggplant! It worked out pretty well, I'm sorta a big fan of this dish, hearty and super comforting flavors. 
Feeds 4

1 small-ish eggplant
1 red bell pepper, sliced lengthwise
1 yellow onion, sliced lengthwise
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon veggie stock
1 can organic tomato sauce
2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast

Start with the tablespoon of veggie stock, sauté onions and garlic until translucent. Add eggplant and sauté until it’s got a touch of color, 5 minutes or so. Then add bell pepper, the rest of the veggie stock, tomato sauce, salt and basil. Lower heat and simmer with the lid on for 40ish minutes until eggplant is super soft. At the very end stir in the nutritional yeast. 

Serve over a pound of your favorite pasta, I’m partial to quinoa! Or go crazy and make your own zucchini pasta!! I like to mix them when I’m really hungry!  This is good stuff!!! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site Design by Fabulous K